Disclosure:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission on qualifying purchases within this blog.

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Celebrate the Olympics with Greek Food

To help celebrate the Summer Olympics, I thought I would post my favorite Greek recipe. My kids are crazy about this recipe, and I'm sure I'll be giving some of these to my married daughter to take on her camping trip this weekend.

So give them a try, they are actually not very hard to make. And if I can't screw them up they are sure to be a hit in your house, too.

 

Dolmades

50 large grapevine leaves

1 pound ground chicken or pork

3 tablespoons fresh chopped mint

3 green onions chopped

1 tablespoon fresh chopped dill

1/2 medium onion finely chopped

1 cup sushi rice, raw

1/2 teaspoons salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

1 L of chicken broth

1 tablespoon lemon juice

 

If you're using the jar of grapevine leaves, all you need to do is rinse the leaves and pat them dry. If you using fresh grapevine leaves, make sure that they are pesticide free and picked in the morning. Blanch the leaves by plunging them into boiling water for about 1 min, then draining them and laying them on a cookie sheet.

Mix the meat, herbs, salt, pepper and onion thoroughly and then mix in the rice.

Fold  a leaf in half lengthwise, at the stem end, and with a pair of scissors, trim off the stem and a small portion of the radiating veins. Lay the leaf topside down, and drop about 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon of the meat mixture into the center of the leaf. Fold the sides in, and then roll the leaf up. You'll have a nice round little package. Set the dolmade down so it won't unravel. Continue this was all your grapevine leaves.

Any ripped grapevine leaves or those that appear to be fragile may be used to cover the top of the dolmades. Grease a fireproof dish and lay out all the dolmades, then cover them with any unused or torn leaves. Use a fireproof plate, casserole dish, or something of similar shape but slightly smaller over top of your dolmades, to help weigh them down. They must not be boiled but simmered gently, so that they do not unravel.

Gently pour in the chicken broth and lemon juice to cover the dolmades, and simmer in the oven set at 350° for about one hour. After that time, check the center dolmade to see if it is cooked through, and the rice is not hard.

You can eat these right away, but they improve with sitting in the refrigerator for a day. They may be eaten cold or warmed up.

This is what they looked like when I took them out of the oven. For the round dish, I had used a smaller lid to keep the dolmades secure, and for the rectangular dish I had used a glass loaf pan. Enjoy and be as adventurous as the Ancient Greeks who first ate them!

5 comments:

Mystery and Mayhem said...

My husband and daughter have weighed in on their taste. They think I should have been heavier with the lemon juice, as it adds more tang. So feel free to be a bolder cook than I am!

Norah Wilson said...

These look awesome, Barbara. I wonder how you could convert this recipe to vegan? My daughter might like to try it. I know she loves grapeleaf-wrapped vegan thing she gets at the Midsea Eatery here in Fredericton (Lebanese).

Mona Risk said...

Hi Barbara, I cook the grape leaves at every holiday. My children love them. My recipee is a bit different. I add lime juice on the mix of rice and ground meat, add allspice, and salt. I roll the as thin as a finger annd when I arrange in a pot I add garlic pieces in between the layers, and I sprinkle with mint. I put a small plate inside the pot on top of the arranged rolls to keep the leaves from opening or moving. I give them a boil in the pot, and then let them simmer for an hour or two until well cooked. Now a day, I use the pressure cooker, and it's done in half an hour. Never used the oven.

For Norah, for vegans, instead of meat, you use a mix of rice, chickpea, and tomato cut in very small pieces. With Greek grandfathers and a lebanese grandmother, I learned to roll grapeleaves early in life.

Roxy Boroughs said...

Yummmmm. Love Greek food.

Mystery and Mayhem said...

Thank you everyone, for the comments. Norah,I think the recipe would convert easily, as long as you use sticky rice. What's her favourite ingredients?
Mona, glad you use them too, and love the idea of chickpeas in them. I may just make more this weekend.
Roxy, love Greek food, too!

It's like Jello

Again, it's been ages since I wrote a blog, and I am sure my followers have forgotten all about me.  But when life takes you on a trip, ...